playing games on steam with a ps5 controller means having fun in the most advanced and immersive way possible. it’s something every passionate gamer should experience.
however, getting your ps5 controller to automatically work with all games available on steam isn’t always that simple. According to some users, not all steam games automatically detect the ps5 controller, which can be a bit of a problem.
Reading: Steam how to connect ps5 controller
Thankfully, this guide is dedicated to helping you learn how to use a ps5 controller on steam even with games that require you to set it up manually, so without further ado, let’s get started right away.
connecting your ps5 controller to your pc
Before you start configuring your PS5 dualsense controller to work with a specific Steam game, you first need to connect it to your computer and see if it’s responding well.
ps5 controllers can be connected to your computer in two different ways, through a cable or via a bluetooth wireless connection.
connecting via usb cable
for this type of connection, you will need a usb-a to usb-c cable, one that comes with the driver itself. if for some reason you don’t have that cable, you’ll have to buy one at a store near you, but don’t worry, as long as it’s usb-a to usb-c, it’ll work just fine.
note: the usb-a plugs into your computer and the usb-c end needs to plug into the controller.
After plugging in the controller, it should power up, along with the “player1” slot, which means you successfully plugged in the device.
connection via bluetooth
To wirelessly connect your ps5 controller to your computer, you need to do the following:
- Open the Windows search bar and type in “Bluetooth and other devices”, then click on the first option available, as shown in the image below.
- Then, click on “Add Bluetooth or other device”, once again as shown in the image below.
- Choose “Bluetooth” once more.
- On your controller, press the PS button and the share button at the same time and hold them both pressed for a few seconds. Your controller will start rapidly flashing blue.
- The controller should show in the “Add a device” window you previously opened, so just use your mouse to click on it.
- The device should now connect to your computer, and the lights should switch to solid blue with no more flashing.
If you need a visual representation of all these steps, take a look at this helpful video below which covers the entire procedure from start to finish. It will clear things up a lot for you.
By now, your controller should be properly connected to your computer, either wirelessly or via usb cable.
That aside, let’s take a look at how you can configure it to work with steam.
configuring ps5 controller on steam
Now it’s time to set up your ps5 controller to work with steam so you can enjoy playing your favorite games with it.
This is actually quite easy to do, so follow the steps below and you’ll have it up and running in just a few minutes.
- Launch the steam client on your computer with administrator privileges and log in to your account.
- Once the client loads, click steam in the upper left corner and then settings.
- in the steam settings panel, click controller and then settings controller general, which should be the first option in the window.
- in the controller settings panel, enable the third option, which is “playstation settings support” by “check” the box just before.
now under the detected controls section you should be able to see your ps5 controller, as shown in the image below.
Note: If you don’t see your controller, re-connecting it using the steps listed above could potentially solve this problem.
You can continue configuring your controller by clicking the calibrate button which allows you to rename it, change led light settings and much more.
When you’re done, click submit to save your settings, and now you can close all windows except steam, as you’ll need it to launch the game you want to play.
The only thing left is to start a steam game and start using your controller. It’s that easy!
Congratulations, you have successfully set up your ps5 controller to work on steam. We hope that the methods listed in the above guide were easy to follow and useful for you.
now you can play your favorite ps5 controller compatible games on steam and have a lot of fun doing it.