As a Windows-based device, the Xbox has a lot in common with a typical Windows PC. The Xbox is one of the best consoles to interface with a Windows PC, with the ability to stream games, share media, and more. If you want a seamless multimedia experience, it makes sense to combine the Xbox and a Windows PC.
As long as you have the correct network settings, connecting an xbox to a computer is a simple process. You’ll need both devices on the same network, and if you want to stream content, an ethernet connection is preferred. If you want to know how to connect your xbox to a windows pc, here is what to do.
Reading: How to connect xbox to windows
connect an xbox to a windows pc using the xbox app
The Xbox Console Companion App gives you full control of your Xbox One console from your Windows PC. It allows you to start or shut down your xbox, stream xbox games to your pc over your local network connection, install or remove games, as well as chat with your xbox game friends.
The Xbox Console Companion App is installed on all Windows PCs, as part of Microsoft’s plan to further integrate the two services. If you have a local user account, you will need to sign in with your Microsoft account to use the app; Existing microsoft account users should find that the app automatically logs you in.
- as long as the xbox app is linked to your microsoft account, it will not automatically connect to your xbox; you will have to do it manually. To do this, press the connection icon in the left menu of the xbox app on your pc.
- In the connect to your xbox one window, click the add a device icon in the upper right corner.
- windows will search for your xbox one console automatically. if it detects it, press the connect button. if you need to do this manually, type your xbox’s ip address in the box provided, then press connect to connect.
- If you can’t connect, you may need to allow streaming connections in your xbox settings. To do this, open your xbox settings and go to devices & transmission > device connections. Make sure the allow streaming, allow game streaming on other devices, and only from profiles signed in to this xbox setting is selected or enabled.
- once the xbox is added, you should see it in the connections tab. From here, you can turn the Xbox on or off, view the currently open game or app, test the streaming quality, or cast the Xbox to your PC by pressing cast.
stream xbox games to windows pc
You can stream xbox games to your pc from the connections tab in the xbox console companion app.
- In the connections tab, press the cast button to start casting the xbox one console to your pc.
- once you’ve established streaming, you’ll need to decide if you want to connect your xbox one controller to your pc or continue using it from your xbox. if your xbox is a bit further away you may want to connect it to your pc. once you are ready to continue, press continue.
- Using your xbox controller, you can navigate your xbox one’s menu as usual. play a game by selecting it from the my games & apps menu.
stream media to an xbox using microsoft movies & television
While most users will probably be interested in connecting and controlling their xbox to a pc for gaming reasons, you can stream other media content to an xbox using the playto feature. this allows other playto compatible apps to stream content from windows to an xbox (and vice versa).
- You will first need to make sure playto streaming is enabled. To do this, open your xbox settings and go to devices & transmission > device connections, making sure the allow streaming option is enabled.
- in windows settings (right-click on the start menu and press settings to access this), press devices > bluetooth and amplifier; other devices > add bluetooth or other device.
- In the add a device menu, select your xbox one console from the list once the scanning process is complete.
- windows will confirm that a connection has been established. click done to confirm.
You can now stream content from the movies & from microsoft; tv media app. You will need the same app installed on both your Xbox and PC for this to work.
- to do this in movies & tv, press the three-dot menu icon in the lower right corner of the playback bar while playing content. in the options menu, click cast to device.
- In the connect menu, select your connected xbox one console. this will open the movies & tv app on your xbox and cast the content from your pc to play it.
streaming media to an xbox using kodi
if you prefer to use alternative media apps, you can install apps like kodi on your xbox. kodi supports a full range of media playback options, including the ability to access network shares from a windows pc or other network-attached storage devices.
- on windows, you can share any folder by right clicking and pressing properties. in the share tab, click share to share the folder, making sure to select your user account in the next window.
- In kodi on your xbox, you will need to enable network sharing using the smb protocol used by windows. to do this, open settings > plugins > my plugins > virtual file systems and select the smb support (libsmb2) option.
- In the plugin options window, press enable to enable the plugin.
- with smb enabled, you can now access windows network shares from settings > file manager menu in kodi. from there, press add source.
- In the add file source window, press browse.
- In the browse new share window, select windows networking (smb).
- A list of your network devices will appear. find your pc listed here, then select the network share from the list of options before clicking ok.
- If you need to provide a username and password to connect, select add network location instead. select windows networking (smb) from the protocol dropdown menu, then select a location, username, and password using the options provided.
once the share has been added to the kodi settings, you should see it listed under the various media categories (eg videos > files) on the screen kodi startup. from there you can select any media file to play from your pc to your xbox.
xbox gameplay from your windows pc
Now that you know how to connect your Xbox to a Windows PC, you can take full advantage of the multimedia capabilities of both devices. With the Xbox app, you can stream and control your Xbox from your computer, as well as stream other types of media from your computer to your Xbox in another way.
For fans of classic games, the xbox gives you the perfect excuse to take control, with great backwards compatibility with older xbox consoles. If you’re an Xbox Game Pass subscriber, you can even play your Game Pass games on PC, with shared access through your Microsoft account.
See also: Bluedio Ht User Manual – Manuals