Still seeing “can’t connect to server” error in fortnite?
fortnite is one of the best battle royale games in the world. it has over 150 million users and has become a staple in the esports scene. However, despite its state, Fortnite still encounters unexpected issues and occasional downtime.
Reading: How to connect to fortnite servers
One of the most common issues you will face in fortnite is the “cannot connect to server” error. this error message appears when logging into your account, preventing you from accessing anything in the game.
As far as we know, the “can’t connect to server” error in fortnite occurs due to server-related issues or slow network connections.
On the other hand, it can also be caused by faulty drivers, corrupted files or third-party applications.
Today, we’re going to show you what to do if you encounter the “can’t connect to server” error in fortnite.
let’s dive in!
1. check fortnite servers
Before changing your settings, we recommend that you first check where the problem is coming from. this way you know exactly what to do and avoid wasting time trying solutions that won’t work.
Go to the epic games status page and see if there are any issues with fortnite.
Since server related issues cannot be resolved on your end, the only option you have if the servers are down is to wait for the fortnite team to resolve the issue.
On the other hand, you can proceed to the next method below if the fortnite servers are online.
2. reboot your system.
One of the easiest ways to fix most issues in fortnite or any app is to restart your system. This reloads the fortnite installation files and ensures there are no temporary errors or crashes on your system.
If you keep getting an error message in fortnite, follow the steps below to reboot your system:
- First, open the start menu on your taskbar.
- after that go to power options tab.
- lastly, click restart to restart your computer.
Once that’s done, go back to fortnite and see if you can log into your account.
3. modify the launch configuration.
When you encounter “can’t connect to server” error in fortnite, try changing your startup settings. it turns out that the problem disappears after adding the “http=wininet” command in the epic games launcher properties.
see the steps below to guide you through the process:
- on your desktop, right click on epic games and choose properties.
- then go to the shortcut tab.
- in the destination tab, type “-http=wininet” at the end of the destination path.
- finally, click ok to save the changes.
launch epic games afterwards and see if the “cannot connect to server” error still occurs in fortnite.
4. check your network connection.
Unstable or slow network connections could also cause the “cannot connect to server” error in fortnite. Since you are playing an online game, you will need a stable internet connection to avoid problems.
test with fast.com to confirm if your network is the culprit.
if the output indicates that your network is the problem, reboot your router to refresh the connection to your isp’s servers. unplug your modem from the outlet and wait 5-10 seconds before plugging it back in.
Once this is done, run another test to see if the issue is resolved. If you continue to experience network-related issues, contact your provider and ask them to repair your service.
5. update your network drivers.
Faulty drivers could also cause connectivity issues in fortnite. If you can’t log into the game, please try to update your drivers to make sure your network controller is working properly.
Please refer to the following guide to update your network drivers:
- press the windows + x keys on your keyboard to open the quick menu.
- after that, click device manager to start it.
- now expand the network adapters tab and right click on your network controller.
- Finally, choose the update driver option and follow the prompts to complete the process.
restart your system after the update and return to fortnite to see if the problem is resolved.
6. flush your dns.
another way to deal with connectivity problems in windows is to flush your dns and renew your ip address. this should clear your network data and remove any temporary errors that may have occurred during runtime.
This is what you need to do:
- On your computer, start command prompt with administrative privileges.
- then type ‘ipconfig /flushdns‘ and press the enter key.
- after that, type ‘ ipconfig /release‘ and press enter.
- finally, type ‘ipconfig /renew‘ and press the enter key.
Once this is done, reboot your system and check if the “cannot connect to server” error in fortnite still occurs.
7. close unnecessary applications.
Apps running in the background could be consuming your network bandwidth, causing connectivity issues in fortnite. To avoid this, make sure there are no unnecessary applications running on your system.
8. change your dns
Your isp’s default dns might be experiencing technical issues right now, causing problems for applications you’re using. to fix this, please change to another dns in the meantime.
see the steps below to change your dns on windows:
- first, open the start menu on your taskbar.
- after that, find ‘view network connections‘ and open it.
- now right click on your network and choose properties.
- double-click internet protocol version 4.
- Next, enable the ‘use the following dns server addresses‘ option and enter the following:
- preferred dns server: 126.96.36.199
- alternate dns server: 188.8.131.52
- Finally, click ok to save your changes.
Once this is done, go back to fortnite and check if the issue is resolved.
9. contact fortnite support.
At this point, we suggest you let the professionals deal with the situation if you are still encountering the “cannot connect to server” error in fortnite.
go to the epic games help center and contact their team to report the problem you’re having in fortnite. Please provide your account details, your ISP, and other necessary information that might help their team resolve the issue faster.
You can also check the guides on their page and see if you can find alternative solutions.
That brings us to the end of our guide to fixing the “can’t connect to server” error in fortnite. If you have questions, please leave a comment below and we will do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂