How to Chromecast from a Mac to Almost Any Display
a note to remember
Connecting your devices can significantly simplify your life, but it can also endanger them at the same time. For example, if someone wants to tap into your Mac’s data, they’ll also have access to any connected devices. to provide decent level of protection, you may need help.
download mackeeper to protect your data, mac and any connected devices. it will also allow you to clean up your mac and optimize its performance!
why use google chromecast?
Still, the idea of a smart home appeals to many people around the world. On the plus side, if all your devices are connected to each other, your devices work autonomously to make your daily routines a little easier. For now, you can take the first steps towards a smart home: just pair your computer, smartphone, or tablet with a TV.
Take Google Chromecast as an example: It is considered a cheap alternative to Apple TV. With its help, you can easily cast the screen of your laptop, tablet, and smartphone to a large TV in real time.
google chromecast basics
It should be noted that Google Chromecast is not stand-alone like Apple TV. it means that chromecast is just an intermediary between an application capable of streaming content and a television.
the second important nuance is that there are not so many applications compatible with chromecast despite its presence in the market for a long time. if we talk about ios, there are several native google apps available including youtube, play movies and play music, netflix, hulu and a dozen other streaming software.
Things are even sadder when dealing with a Mac—you can only access Chromecast from the Chrome browser through a special add-on and share specific tabs with your TV.
Also, it’s important to understand that Google Chromecast for Mac’s pricing policy is completely different from Apple TV’s, so comparing the functionality of these two devices is not exactly the same.
google chromecast peripherals
on the surface, chromecast is a rounded device with an hdmi connector. it also has a micro-usb connector and a reset button. The chromecast device is sold with a power cable and a power adapter. Regardless of its appearance, you probably won’t see the chromecast device that will be hidden behind the panel of the television.
google chromecast compatibility
It’s worth noting that Google Chromecast is a Windows and Mac compatible device. therefore, the experience of operating chromecast from a mac has a number of important features, which we will discuss in this article. so if you don’t know how to set up chromecast on a mac, you can read further.
what you will need
it is simple to connect chromecast to a macbook. here, you will need:
- a chromecast device
- a television with hdmi input
- a computer with macos
- a phone or a tablet
- a google account
- access to a Wi-Fi network
make sure you have all of the above before you begin. Now, if everything is ok, let’s start the connection.
how to chromecast from a mac step by step
To start the installation process, you must follow these steps:
1. connect the hdmi connector of chromecast to the same peripherals on your tv. then connect the usb power cable to your chromecast and plug the cable into a usb port on your tv or a power outlet using the included power adapter.
2. Change the input source. Select the HDMI port you connected your Google Chromecast to. Use the TV remote and click on the Menu and find Settings. You’ll see a Chromecast welcome screen on your TV.
3. Download Google Home app on your phone or tablet and set up Chromecast as a new device. Note, you’ll need to have Bluetooth enabled on your mobile device. To continue Chromecast-Mac setup, follow the in-app instructions.
4. Chromecast from Chrome browser on your Mac. Go to the three-dot menu in the upper-right corner of your Chrome browser and in the drop-down menu, click Cast
5. Chromecast from streaming services. Websites such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and more make it super easy to Chromecast. All you need to do is to click a special icon.
6. Chromecast your Mac’s desktop, audio, or video files from your Mac. Chrome’s Cast menu allows you to choose a source for casting that includes your Chrome’s tabs, Mac desktop, and your local files.
Now you can enjoy the content from your Mac on the TV. As you can see, the connection process is quite simple, and it only takes a couple of minutes, so anyone can handle it.
chromecast compatibility with previous versions of the operating system
many people wonder if it is possible to use chromecast with os x with an older macbook. fortunately, it is. what you will need is macbook pro 2010 or macbook air 2011 or later with os x 10.9 or later.
The whole process is no different from the one described above. The whole procedure takes a couple of minutes and you can enjoy chromecast streaming from a mac.
optimize your mac for chromecasting
the question of how to connect chromecast to a mac is not the main problem. it is more important to understand how to use chromecast on a mac properly. you need to make sure your mac works smoothly and you can use chromecast without any problem.
if your computer starts to lag, mac chromecast is unlikely to play. The reasons for the unstable work of the operating system may include:
- lack of ram
- poor internet connection
- log errors
The first problem can be solved by simply upgrading to a newer mac. the second will require a change of internet service provider or rate plan. the third blocker can be solved with specialized software.
if you’re experiencing audio issues, check out our guide on how to fix sound on a mac.
google chromecast is a great value for money that allows you to watch movies, youtube videos and photos from your mac on a big screen tv. connecting and setting up a chromecast + mac bundle only takes a couple of minutes if you follow these guidelines. enjoy your new experience!