How to Connect PS4 Controller to a PC
- you can connect your ps4 controller to a computer using a micro-usb cable or wirelessly via bluetooth.
- with a usb, you can connect to your computer via steam or windows utility ds4.
- if your computer supports bluetooth, you can pair and connect your controller wirelessly.
- visit the insider technical reference library for more stories.
If you like to use a ps4 controller for computer games, you’ll be happy to know that there are a few ways to connect your ps4 controller to your windows 10 computer.
Two of these methods involve a wired connection (via a micro-usb cable) and the third involves pairing your controller wirelessly via bluetooth.
Here’s how to connect the PS4 controller to a computer in three different ways and how to reconnect the PS4 controller to the PS4 console.
how to connect ps4 controller to pc with usb
If you want to connect your ps4 controller with a micro-usb cable (the same cable you use to charge the controller), you have two options: via steam or the windows ds4 utility.
connect via steam
If you’re a PC gamer, you most likely have a Steam account, which you can use to connect a PS4 controller.
1. open the steam app and click the big picture mode icon on the top right. it looks like a square with two arrows pointing.
2. Once you’re in big picture mode, select the gear-shaped settings icon in the top right.
3. On the driver tab, click driver settings.
4. check the box for playstation setup support.
5. connect the ps4 controller to your pc with the micro-usb cable. make sure the controller’s backlight glows to indicate there is a connection.
6. steam should automatically detect and configure your controller. click it when it appears at the bottom of the page.
connect via windows ds4 utility
If you want to use your wired controller with a non-steam game, this is another option.
1. In a web browser on your pc, go to the windows ds4 website. click download now.
2. you will be redirected to github. locate and click the ds4windows.zip file, then download it to your computer.
3. Locate the downloaded .zip file on your computer and open it, then double-click ds4updater and click extract all .
4. Choose a location to extract the files. It should be a location that you can easily find.
5. Once extracted, open the location you chose and double click on ds4windows. If you are prompted to confirm that you want to run the program, click run.
6. you will be asked where you want to save the program files. if you don’t care where they go, choose app data. if you want to be able to move them, choose program folder and select a location.
7. Once you’ve chosen a place to save your files, click step 1: install ds4 driver and let the program install your files. if asked if you want to install the software, click install.
You can now use the ps4 controller on your computer with a micro-usb cable, though you may need to restart your computer first.
how to connect ps4 controller to pc with bluetooth
If your computer supports bluetooth, you can pair and connect your controller wirelessly.
1. open your pc search menu (you can press windows key + q to open it immediately) and search for bluetooth.
2. select bluetooth settings and other devices in the search results.
3. Make sure your computer has bluetooth enabled by setting the switch labeled bluetooth to on.
4. Press and hold the playstation and share buttons on your controller until the backlight starts flashing.
5. On your pc, click add bluetooth or other device and select bluetooth.
6. You will see your ps4 controller listed as wireless controller. click it to end the connection. if prompted for an access code, enter 0000.
how to reconnect the controller to the ps4 console
To reconnect a PS4 controller to your PS4 console after using it with a computer, you will need to physically connect the controller to the console using USB.
then press the ps button on the controller. Once you’ve followed these steps, you can remove the USB cable and use your controller wirelessly.