how to setup xfinity wifi router without any technician? the setup process needs to complete some mandatory steps before powering on the device.
xfinity is known to provide one of the fastest and most reliable connections in the united states.
Recently, the company started offering more affordable internet packages and plans at a low price and still offers reliable performance.
if you purchased an internet package with xfinity, this is the article to help you.
here you will learn how to set up your xfinity wi-fi router in easy and simple steps that even your grandma can do.
but first, unpack the contents of the xfinity wireless gateway and make sure the necessary cables are complete, everything there?
this is how to set up your xfinity wifi router.
xfinity router configuration
All wireless device in your house needs to connect to a router. Without a wireless router, life is not easy at home as all modern device depends on the wireless internet.
if you just got an xfinity device, you can get your wireless connection working.
The setup process is easy and here we will discuss all the necessary steps to get your connection up and running in 10-15 minutes.
so how to configure xfinity wifi router?
The process is simple and you have to follow these steps one by one.
- find a suitable place for the device
- set up cables & accessories
- temporary activation
- temporary internet check
- customizing settings
Now, let’s go through all the steps one by one for easy installation.
step 1. find a suitable place for your router
Wi-Fi signals are also sensitive at times and putting your router can lead to weak signals or slow data transmission.
To make sure you have the ideal place, check if your place has all of these checked:
1. avoid close distance to televisions, radios, microwaves, baby monitors, garage door openers, and your refrigerator, as all of these appliances emit signals that prevent efficient wireless transmission.
2. avoid putting on the floor and high shelves to avoid inefficiency.
3. place in slightly elevated and unobstructed spaces to ensure maximum efficiency.
4. place it in the center of your home to ensure maximum coverage.
5. be sure to keep a close distance to a coaxial wall jack for easy installation and to avoid cable clutter.
6. do not keep it close to other wireless networks to prevent both routers from interfering with each other.
7. avoid placing it near a thick concrete/wood/insulation wall to avoid signal loss.
as a suggestion, places like a table in your living room or an office table would be ideal places.
step 2. configure cables and peripherals
After you have found the best place for your router, it’s now time to setup the cables and the accessories.
now put down your wi-fi router and grab your cables.
step #1. connect the power plug that came with the box to an outlet on your router
Step #2. If you have a cable TV that uses the same coaxial cable for the internet, use a quality splitter to avoid signal spikes
step #3. connect the coaxial cable from the wall jack to the port on your router that says cable entry, making sure to screw it in until finger tight
Step #4. If you have an xfinity phone, plug your phone into one of the phone ports
step #5. prepare the lan port for pc (optional)
Step #6. Turn on the xfinity wireless gateway
some routers will have a power button, but most of the time these will turn on automatically without the need for switches to turn them on.
read next: how to reset xfinity modem?
Now that your router has powered up, you should see the power, us/ds, 2.4ghz and 5ghz lights turn on solid while the online light will start blinking for a while.
Setting up this xfinity router can take up to 20 minutes.
once the online light has turned solid, you can now proceed to the next set of steps.
step 3. temporarily connect for activation
For this step, you will either need a Computer/Laptop with a LAN port or even your Wi-Fi enabled devices like your phone or tablet will do.
Follow these steps to help you connect to the internet.
- make sure your computer network drivers support the lan connection you are going to install
- just take your prepared lan port and connect it to your computer
for Wi-Fi devices
make sure the wi-fi cards and adapters are compatible, which is rare for it not to be compatible, but you better make sure.
Open the wi-fi settings of the router in the browser. check under the router, you should find the default ssid and password of your wireless network.
find the correct wi-fi ssid on your device and type the password. make sure you’re connected.
step 4. activate your internet service
Now since you have connected to the network, all that’s left with your Xfinity router setup is to connect it to the Xfinity internet service.
Follow this next set of steps to activate your service.
- open the browser available on your device
- type this activation link in your browser and press enter
- follow the instructions on the screen, which will probably ask you to download the xfinity xfi app on your mobile device
- once the xfinity xfi app is successfully installed, open it and run through the setup process
once activation is complete, your wi-fi network may restart on its own, and it may also take up to 10 minutes to finish setting up your xfinity router.
step 5. customize your network settings
Let us say you want to change the wireless Name and Password of your network. This is a bonus from us.
Please note that changing certain settings may cause your router to stop working, so we will only teach you how to change the ssid and password with these simple steps.
- for ease, sign in to your xfinity myaccount app
- tap the wireless gateway on the internet tab
- tap change wi-fi settings
- type your new name and password
- tap save and wait a few minutes for the network is updated
when everything is ready, be sure to remember your new wi-fi name and password by writing them down to avoid authentication problems in the future.
enjoy the internet
congratulations! You have completed our guide on how to set up your xfinity wifi router.
let your router sit for a day, and after that, you can now enjoy your internet in full functionality.
If you have further questions or problems, you can check out the support articles at xfinity support.
When installing additional routers, be sure to follow the instructions in the manuals that come with them, and remember what you did here, as all network setup tends to be similar in some way.
Also remember to stay in touch with your service provider for the latest updates and advisories about your internet connections, this way you can avoid confusion.
Now that you’ve finished setting up your xfinity Wi-Fi router, you need to look for errors or problems in the future.
Be sure to come back to this website for other helpful articles to help you solve your problems yourself.