Turning your home into a smart home doesn’t necessarily mean getting rid of your “dumb” appliances and devices. you can change little by little, one device at a time. And sometimes all you really need to get started is get a smart plug.
To set up a smart plug, plug it into an outlet, connect the device you want to automate, and download the dedicated app on your phone. Pair the plug with the device through the app. You can also pair it with your smart speaker so you can turn your devices on or off by issuing voice commands.
Reading: How to connect my smart plug
This article will talk more about smart plugs, their features and how they work. You’ll also get a simple step-by-step guide on how to set one up and how to get started.
what is a smart plug?
Smart plugs or wi-fi plugs are a great way to start if you want to turn your home into an energy efficient smart home.
With a smart plug, you don’t need to get rid of all your non-smart devices and buy smart devices all at once.
There are common devices and appliances that you can convert simply by plugging them into a smart plug.
A smart plug is a small adapter that you can plug into any regular outlet on your wall and you can connect it to your Wi-Fi network.
It comes with a dedicated app that you can install on your smartphone or tablet, and you can remotely control any device you choose to connect through this app.
how does a smart plug work?
A smart plug will make it easier for you to control and automate your small appliances and non-smart devices around the home.
The most basic function it can perform is to allow you to remotely turn your device on or off by cutting off its power supply using its dedicated app on your smartphone or tablet.
Imagine lying in bed and suddenly remembering that you haven’t turned off the lights on your Christmas tree for the night, making it a fire hazard.
no need to get up and down the stairs because you can use your smartphone to get the job done and turn off your smart plug.
and even if you’re already out and about, you can check the smart plug app to make sure you haven’t left anything on.
No more going back and punishing yourself while you’re at the office just because you forgot to turn off the fan or unplug the iron. smart plugs also help make sure you don’t come home to a dark and cold house.
The ability to control certain devices and appliances remotely can also help keep your home secure. So even if you’re on the road, being able to turn on the plug and illuminate your home can deter would-be thieves and discourage break-ins.
other smart plug advanced features
Some brands also allow you to set schedules for your smart plugs. The plug can automatically turn on and off at specific times, so even if you forget about certain devices or appliances, the plug has you covered.
There are also smart plugs that allow you to control your energy consumption. In this way, you would know which appliances consume so much electricity and which ones are energy efficient.
then some check the temperature of the wall outlet to prevent it from overheating.
If you have a smart speaker like amazon echo or google home, you can also get a smart speaker to connect it. this means that you will be able to control your smart plug by issuing voice commands.
Because smart plugs come in different shapes and sizes and are made by different manufacturers, you should consider the different features and capabilities they offer. choose those that give you the features and connectivity options you need.
does a smart plug need wifi?
You will need a strong and stable Wi-Fi connection for your smart plug to work. For one thing, your smart plug gives you the ability to control your connected devices through a dedicated mobile app, and your plug and app can only communicate with each other over a wireless internet connection.
set up a smart plug
Setting up a smart plug is simple and easy. Your smart plug will come with a setup instruction guide, and all you need to do is follow the steps.
These steps may vary on different brands of smart plugs, but the basics are the same:
- plug your smart plug into a wall outlet. the adapter would be thick against the flat outlet so you may need to move some of your furniture to make a little more room.
- download the manufacturer or brand app on your smartphone. Your smart plug manufacturer has a dedicated mobile app and you can get it from google play or apple app store. Through this app, you can receive more information about how to use your smart plug. After downloading, set up your account.
- Connect your smart plug with the app. When your app is ready, it will give you a selection of smart products offered by your manufacturer. then select the name of your smart plug. You will then receive a series of instructions on how to pair your app with your smart plug.
- connect your plug to your home Wi-Fi network. Pairing your app and your smart plug will also involve connecting your device to your home wireless network. Your app and your plug will communicate over the internet, so both your smartphone and your plug must access a wireless network. Your app’s step-by-step guide to pairing also includes instructions on how to connect your plug to your Wi-Fi.
- Connect your non-smart device to your smart plug. plug in the device or appliance you want to automate. you can label or name your device, so you don’t confuse it with other devices you want to automate via a smart plug later. some smart plug apps even allow you to take photos of your devices to make it easier and more convenient for you.
- connect your plug to your smart speaker. If you have a smart speaker like Amazon Echo or Google Home, you can connect it to your smart plug. In this way, you can control your smart plug by issuing voice commands. That means you don’t need to take out your smartphone to turn it on or off when you’re at home. you can say it out loud to alexa or google assistant, and they will transmit the message to your smart plug.
here is a video showing how you can set up a powertech smart plug:
and here is another video on how to set up a smart plug by tp-link:
If you have an amazon smart plug, you can set it up by following the instructions here.
here is a video on how to connect your smart plug to your amazon echo or google home:
A smart plug gives you an easy, convenient and affordable way to automate your home. It gives your non-smart devices or appliances a new life and a way to become part of your smart home.
That means you don’t have to throw out your old appliances just because they’re not smart.
by getting a smart plug, you’ll be able to connect these silly devices to your internet and even your smart speakers and control them remotely via your smartphone.