how to wire a light switch? control a lamp using a one-way switch
In today’s basic home electrical wiring installation tutorial, we’ll show you how to wire a light switch to control a light point using a one-way or one-way switch.
We will use the basic spst (single pole single throw) switch in this tutorial to control a lamp/bulb from a single location.
Reading: How to connect light to switch
good to know: single pole single throw (spst) switch is known as a two way switch, toggle switch or light switch which has three terminals (two for lines and one for ground ) in north america (us – nec). while it is known as a bidirectional switch (having two terminals) in the following countries of Europe, UK and IEC.
Before going into details, we have to show the basic construction and operating mechanism of the one-way switch shown in the figure below:
Below is a simple step by step tutorial with schematic and wiring diagram showing how to wire a light switch to control the bulb/lamp from one place with the help of a one way switch or unidirectional.
related wiring diagrams:
- how to wire a 4 way switch (nec) & intermediate switch as 3-way (iec)?
- how to wire single pole, single throw (spst) as 2-way & 1 way switch? IEC & nec
- how to wire single pole, double throw (spdt) as 3-way & 2 way switch? IEC & ne
- one way switch (spst = single pole single throw) x 1 no
- lamp (bulb) x 1 no
- short pieces of leads x 3 no
This is like a series circuit, that is, all the components are connected in series. just connect the neutral wire directly to the bulb and then connect the bulb to the switch via the center wire. and then connect the hot wire to the switch as shown in the figure below. The figure below shows the basic connection of the light switch and its position, that is, when the switch is off, the circuit acts as an open circuit and the bulb does not light. to turn on the bulb, switch s1 must be closed to complete the circuit and turn on the bulb.
The figure below shows the schematic and wiring diagrams for light switches showing how to connect a light switch?
Also note that the colors of household cables may vary in different areas. In addition, always use and connect the ground wire (direct bare wire to switches and electrical appliances from the ground link on the distribution board to reduce the risk of electric shock and danger) which is not shown in the figures above.
- how to connect switches in series?
- how to connect switches in parallel?
the following wiring diagrams show how to connect a light bulb to a light switch according to nec and iec.
click on the image to enlarge
good to know:
- Switches and fuses must be connected through a line cable (live, phase or hot).
- connecting switches in series is not a preferred way of wiring appliances. the parallel or series-parallel wiring method is more reliable.
- fewer wires and cables are required in this type of wiring connection.
- how to connect lamps in series?
- how to connect lamps in parallel?
related electrical wiring installation tutorials:
- how to wire an outlet? outlet wiring diagrams
- how to find number of outlets on a single breaker?
- how to find voltage & amp rating of switch, plug, outlet & receptacle
- how to wire a pilot light switch? wiring 2 & 3 way neon light switches
- how to wire the combo switch and outlet? – combination switch/outlet wiring diagrams
- how to wire an afci combination switch – afci switch wiring diagrams
- how to wire a gfci combination switch and outlet – wiring diagrams of switches/gfci outlets
- how to control the water heater using switches?
- how to connect a ceiling fan? dimmer switch and remote control wiring
- how to wire car & manual shift & transfer switch – (1 and 3 phase)
- bathroom light switch circuit diagram and operation
- staircase wiring circuit diagram – how to control a lamp from 2 places using 2-way switches?
- 2-way switch: how to control a lamp from two or three places?
- how to control a lamp with a one-way switch or unidirectional?
- how to control each lamp with a separate switch in a parallel lighting circuit?
- how to control a bulb from five or six different places using intermediate switches?
- corridor wiring circuit diagram – corridor wiring using 2-way switches
- hospital wiring circuit for light control using switches
- diagram of the shelter wiring circuit and operation
- tunnel wiring diagram – cable circuit ing the tunnel and working
- tunnel wiring circuit diagram for light control using switches
- how to wire a uk 3 pin plug? wiring a bs1363 plug
- how to wire a uk 3 pin power socket? wiring a bs1363 plug
- how to wire a double 3 pin power socket? 2 gang plug wiring
- how to wire combination switch and outlet? – combination switch/outlet wiring diagrams
- switch and push button symbols
- basic electrical wiring diagrams