check the video first:
tp-link smart devices can be controlled via the kasa app locally and remotely. in this way we can make the home smart easily. This article will introduce how to connect tp-link smart plug/switch to home network.
note: if your apple device is ios 14 or above, please enable “local network” first by following the FAQ
before you start:
1. Download kasa smart from app store or google play and install it on your smartphone.
2. connect your smartphone to your home Wi-Fi network (only 2.4 ghz).
3. connect your smart plug to a power outlet.
here we take hs100 for example.
Steps to configure the tp-link smart plug via the kasa app.
1. open the kasa app and sign in to your cloud account.
a. If you don’t have an account, sign up with one. see how to create a tp-link cloud account in kasa?
b. log in to the kasa app with your cloud account.
2. add your smart plug in the kasa app. tap “+” and “add a device”, then click “smart plug” and choose an icon according to your device number. model.
3. follow the instructions in the kasa app to turn on the hs100, wait for the wi-fi light to flash orange and green.
If the light does not flash orange and green, please reset the hs100 per the user guide/quick install guide.
4. connect your phone to the wi-fi smart plug. There is a difference between android and ios phone in this step.
if a message appears on the phone ” this wi-fi network is not secure/unprotected, your privacy and your data may be at risk”. with 2 options “disconnect or connect anyway/keep using this wi-fi/stay connected“, don’t worry just select”connect anyway/keep using this wi-fi /stay signed in“, then continue with the setup .
for android: kasa will search for your kasa camera automatically and it will take about a minute.
If you have problems in this step, please go to settings->wi-fi on your smartphone and manually connect to the wi-fi network of hs100 (same as ios).
for ios: you need to manually connect to the wi-fi network of the hs100, please go to settings->wi-fi on your smartphone and connect to the wi-fi network of the hs100 (which is called as tp-link_smart plug_xxxx) and then return to the kasa app to continue the setup process.
5. connect the smart plug to your home network. here we choose “deco m5” as our home wireless network. if you can’t find your home network in the wi-fi list, please click “join another network” at the bottom of the wi-fi list, then enter the ssid and your home network password manually. After this step, your smart plug will be connected to your home network.
6. name your smart plug.
7. customize an icon for this smart plug. we can choose an icon from the list, or choose between the “albums” of our smartphone or take a photo.
then enjoy your smart plug.
8. click the smart plug icon, you can see a page as below, and you can configure the advanced settings like schedule/away/timer.
9. touch to enter the device setting interface, click “name and icon” to edit the name and icon of the smart plug, click “device information” to view the basic information of the smart plug.
Note: If you encounter any problems during the above steps, you can press the reset button to reset the smart plug/switch according to the user guide/quick installation guide.
more things you might want to do
After you finish connecting the smart plug to your home Wi-Fi network, you may want to use Amazon Echo or Google Home to help manage the device. For this purpose, you can refer to the FAQ below for setup instructions:
how to control smart devices with amazon echo?
how to control smart devices with google home?
If you still couldn’t set up your kasa devices, see the troubleshooting guide: what should I do if I can’t set up my kasa device?
For more details of each function and setting, please go to the download center to download the manual for your product.