How To Connect A Honeywell Thermostat To WiFi: All Models – Home Inspection Insider
Some Honeywell thermostats have a WiFi feature built into the product, which opens up a new world of convenience for the homeowner. Getting the WiFi on these devices set up and working can pose a challenge, mainly when things don’t go according to plan. Following the steps closely to get your WiFi set up on your Honeywell thermostat will get you going in no time!
each honeywell thermostat has a different method for configuring wifi connectivity. Honeywell makes several Wi-Fi thermostats and allows you to control the unit remotely through your smartphone or other internet-connected devices.
let’s say you have a new wi-fi compatible honeywell thermostat installed or for some reason your current thermostat has lost connection to the wi-fi network. in that case, you’ll want to reconnect your device to the network to access all the features it offers. It’s not always necessary to call an HVAC professional to fix this problem, so we’ve provided information on how to do the job yourself.
troubleshooting thermostat wifi connections
first, if it’s a new unit and you’re trying to set it up for the first time on your network, or second, it’s an existing unit that has lost its connection and you’re trying to re-establish it. These are some scenarios that are included in the scope of your honeywell thermostat’s connection to the Wi-Fi network.
When troubleshooting a problem, it’s always best to start with the simplest potential problems and work your way up to more complicated problems as you eliminate possibilities one by one.
If your thermostat is new and you’re trying to connect to Wi-Fi for the first time, you can skip ahead to the steps to connect your thermostat.
If your thermostat was connected to Wi-Fi and for some reason has now lost connection; you may want to troubleshoot as an initial step before looking at the thermostat itself.
If you can’t access your thermostat on your Wi-Fi network, you can check for the following potential issues before delving into the thermostat setup.
- Power to Thermostat: Verify your thermostat has power. All Honeywell thermostat models that offer Wi-Fi as a feature must be powered through the C-wire or the Common wire. If your thermostat doesn’t have power, then you know it’s a wiring issue, and you probably need to call your HVAC tech to take a look.
- Wifi frequency: Honeywell thermostats only work on the 2.4 frequency. ghz wireless Most Wi-Fi routers can transmit on either the 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz frequency, or both. set your internet router to broadcast on the 2.4ghz frequency to accommodate a connection for your thermostat.
- wireless range: wireless signals have limited range and are affected by physical barriers that can weaken the signal and electromagnetic interference, limiting the range of the signal. If the thermostat is at the outer limits of the Wi-Fi signal range, or if there is interference nearby, it may intermittently lose signal. try moving the router closer to the thermostat, or install a Wi-Fi extender near the thermostat.
- router firewall: the router’s firewall may block the thermostat from connecting. make sure the firewall allows the thermostat to connect.
- turn the router off and on again: the final step you can try is to restart the wifi router by turning it off and on again. this step sometimes fixes any problems the router may have transmitting the signal and accepting new connections.
If you’ve tried all of these steps and your thermostat still won’t connect to Wi-Fi, then it’s time to dig a little deeper into your thermostat’s settings.
connect a honeywell 6000 and 8000 series thermostat to wifi
Not all honeywell 6000 series units are wi-fi capable. You can tell if your unit has Wi-Fi functionality by checking the model number. all wi-fi enabled model numbers will have the wf designation after the model number.
For example, the model rth6580wf indicates that this model has Wi-Fi capability by using the letters wf at the end of the model number.
On the 6000 series, only the th6320wf1 and rth6850wf models are Wi-Fi capable. On the 8000 series, the th8320wf and rth8580wf are Wi-Fi capable.
To set up Wi-Fi on these units, you will need to access the “Wi-Fi setup” screen with the following steps.
- press and hold the “fan” and up arrow buttons for 10-15 seconds.
- press “next” until the number 39 appears on the left side of the screen .
- press the down arrow button to change the number on the right side of the screen to 0.
- press “done”.
- the settings wifi should flash on the thermostat display.
- press the “system” button.
- press and hold the second and fourth blank boxes for 10-15 seconds.
- use the up and down arrows. down to change the left number to 0900.
- use the up and down arrows to change the right number to 0.
- press “done”.
- the flashing “wifi settings” should be visible on the screen.
To set up Wi-Fi on these devices, you’ll need a tablet, laptop, or smartphone to complete the process. you will also need the password of your home Wi-Fi network.
Follow these steps to set up the connection once you have your computer, tablet, or mobile phone ready.
- make sure the thermostat display shows “wifi settings” on the screen.
- on your laptop, tablet or phone, go to the list of wifi available networks.
- one of the displayed networks must be “newthermostat_xxxxxx“. the numbers displayed in the xxxxxx field will vary from unit to unit.
- connect to this network on your device. choose “home network” if asked to specify the type of network.
- When you have a connection to the thermostat, open a browser on your laptop, tablet, or smartphone. you will be redirected to the wifi settings page of the thermostat, but if you are not, you can type “http://192.168.1.1” in the url window and you will be connected to the page.
- the setup page will display a list of all available networks that the thermostat unit can see. Find your home Wi-Fi network in the list and select it.
- Fill in all the necessary fields to connect to the network, including the Wi-Fi password. You will only be prompted for the password on some models once you click the “connect” button.
- click the “connect” button.
- The thermostat will now connect to your home Wi-Fi network and you may lose connection to the thermostat in your browser. this process may take up to 3 minutes to complete.
- if the connection was successful, the thermostat will display the words “connection successful” on the screen and display the signal strength on the the upper right corner of the unit.
- After about 60 seconds, the thermostat display will show the home screen. A message will prompt you to “sign up for total connect“.
- You will then need to connect to the internet on your laptop or other device and sign in to www.mytotalconnectcomfort. com site this registration will allow you to have remote access to your thermostat.
connect a honeywell 9000 series thermostat to wifi
Connecting your honeywell 9000 series to wi-fi is easy and can be done on the thermostat screen. you will need your home wifi password to complete setup.
To connect your honeywell 9000 series thermostat to Wi-Fi, follow these steps.
- press the “menu” button.
- press the “wifi settings” button.
- The thermostat will scan for Wi-Fi networks in the area and display a list of networks.
- touch to select your network from the list.
- the screen will present you with a field to enter your wifi password. use the on-screen keyboard to enter the password. click the “done” button when you have entered the password.
- Thermostat will display a “connection successful” screen. click the “next” button.
- the next screen will display the mac and crc thermostats. make a note of these numbers, as you’ll need them to register your device online.
- on your laptop or other internet-connected device, go to www.mytotalconnectcomfort.com and create an account. register your thermostat to your system. this log will allow you to remotely access your thermostat over the internet.
connect a honeywell t5 and t6 series thermostat to wifi
Honeywell t5 and t6 series thermostats are easier to set up with the honeywell home app. Please download this app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, depending on your device, before you begin setup on your thermostat.
Open the app and create an account in the app. you will need to know the name of your Wi-Fi network and the password of your network.
The steps below will detail how to configure these units through the app.
- on the thermostat screen, press “launch setup” on the screen.
- select “yes” to use the app to configure the thermostat.
- open the honeywell home on your smartphone and sign in to the account you created when you installed the app on your phone.
- The app will search for nearby active thermostats and display your thermostat on the “thermostat found” screen. select your thermostat from the list.
- the app will connect to the thermostat and guide you through the setup to configure the thermostat, including selecting the Wi-Fi network to connect to and the network password.
connect a honeywell t9 and t10 series thermostat to wifi
The first step in connecting your Honeywell T9 or T10 series thermostat to Wi-Fi is to enable Wi-Fi on the thermostat unit.
Follow these steps to enable Wi-Fi on a t9 or t10 series.
- tap the screen to activate the unit and bring up the full screen.
- at the bottom of the screen is a “menu” icon. tap this icon to open the menu.
- once the screen presents the menu, scroll down and select the “wifi” menu option.
- tap “enable ” to make sure it is enabled.
- exit the menu.
In order to connect the Honeywell T9 Series Thermostat to your Wi-Fi network, you will need to have your Wi-Fi password handy.
To connect to Wi-Fi on the t9 series, follow these steps.
- touch the screen to activate the display.
- touch the “menu” icon to open the menu.
- from the menu , select the “wifi” option.
- touch the “choose network” option on the screen.
- the unit searches for networks Wi-Fi that you can locate nearby. select your network from the list.
- the screen will ask you to enter the network password, which you can do from the displayed touch screen keyboard.
- once After you have entered the password, the unit will connect to the network and return to the “wifi screen, showing the network you are connected to.
- exit the menu.
connect a honeywell round series smart thermostat to wifi
The Honeywell Smart Round Thermostat can be configured for Wi-Fi via the Honeywell Home app. this requirement means that you must have the app installed on your device and you must have an account registered in the app before proceeding with the steps.
To set up your honeywell smart round thermostat on Wi-Fi, follow these steps.
- Launch the honeywell home app and sign in to your account.
- On the home screen, click the plus sign to add a new device.
- select the device you want to add from the list presented.
- click the “go” button on the thermostat screen.
- click “next” on the screen from the app.</li
- The name of the thermostat will appear in the app. select the name and the app will connect to the thermostat.
- you will be prompted in the app to connect the thermostat to the same network that your mobile device is connected to. click “next” in the app.
- the connection process will begin and the wifi settings of the thermostat will be set to the same network.
- once the connection is established, click on “ready”. ” in the upper right corner of the app.
- The Wi-Fi connection is now configured on your thermostat.
connect honeywell lyric round series thermostat to wifi
The Honeywell Lyric Round Thermostat requires the Lyric App to be installed on your smartphone to complete setup.
- open the lyric app and select the menu button in the upper left corner.
- select “thermostat name” for the type of thermostat you are connecting to your home network.</ li
- select “thermostat settings” then select “wifi reset”.
- press and hold the “climate” button on the thermostat for at least 5 seconds.
- highlight “wifi” on the screen and select “ok”.
- on the next screen, select “setup” and then press “ok”.
- when prompted from the lyric app, press “go” on the thermostat screen.
- the lyric app will guide you step by step through the setup process.
Setting up Wi-Fi on your honeywell thermostat may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but once you figure out how to do it, it’s not as difficult as you may think.
If you are having difficulty connecting your thermostat to Wi-Fi, be sure to follow our troubleshooting steps to ensure the issue is not related to your Wi-Fi network settings.
If your Wi-Fi network is OK and the thermostat is within the effective range of the router, you should be able to connect to Wi-Fi within a few minutes!