How to use Minecraft Forge | PC Gamer
minecraft forge is one of the best ways to manage mods in the block based building game. If you’re a typical Minecraft player, you probably have more mods than you know what to do with, tweaking everything from visuals to optimizing the way you create and interact with your inventory.
It can be easy to get buried with minecraft mods (opens in a new tab), so tools like forging are vital to keeping things under control. And for those who enjoy the vanilla experience, but don’t really know where to start with modding, Forge offers a helpful way and a useful tool to keep track.
with minecraft 1.19 (opens in new tab) on the horizon, there’s a lot to look forward to. but if you’re eagerly awaiting new stuff, mods can liven things up in the meantime. In this guide, I’ll explain how to install Minecraft Forge, how to use it, and offer some great mod recommendations that will make you never go back to vanilla.
minecraft forge: what does it do?
Modding can be quite a difficult process in some games, but minecraft forge makes it all relatively simple. Once you’ve installed the forge client, you’ll be able to select it as a profile in your minecraft launcher, which then adds a button that allows you to see a list of your mods.
From here you can select the mods you want to use and start the game as usual. or if you just downloaded a new mod, you can open the mods folder by clicking the button at the bottom of the list. this allows you to copy a newly downloaded mod to the mods folder without having to manually browse to the location.
how to install minecraft forge
- First, go to minecraftforge (opens in a new tab) and download the program.
- make sure you download the version of forge that corresponds to the version of minecraft you have (if minecraft is 1.1, download version 1.1 of forge).
- Go to the downloaded file (should be in ‘c:users\[username]appdataroaming\.minecraftmods’) and open it. note: if you can’t run the installer, check that you have java (opens in a new tab) installed.
- select ‘install client’ and then press ‘ok’.
- open minecraft and change the profile to ‘forge’.
- once the game loads, you will see a new “mods” menu on the home screen.
- click here and choose which mods to use.
mods to try with minecraft forge
If you’re looking for some mods to try with minecraft forge that will help simplify the game experience, these are a good place to start:
- justenoughitems (opens in a new tab) – This view mode for recipes and items is one of the most downloaded and helps speed up the process of finding and using materials.
- journeymap (Opens in a new tab) – This mod creates a map of your world as you explore and mark points of interest. you can see it in-game or even in a web browser.
- mosetweaks (Opens in a new tab) – Clicking and dragging can be a bit of a hassle, so settings mouse optimizes them by adding two different left mouse clicks and letting you use the mouse wheel, so you can speed up the process.
that’s it. Now it’s just a matter of finding the minecraft mods you like and installing them.
There are more block guides where that comes from, so here’s how to build a house in minecraft. now you have a home for all your handy mods and yourself.