Use MySQL for Excel to access your MySQL database on the Research Database Complex at IU
The following are instructions to download, install and configure mysql for excel version 1.3.6.
- download and install mysql for excel
- connect to your mysql database
- get help
mysql for oracle excel is a windows based excel plugin. provides a wizard-like interface for exploring mysql schemas, tables, views, and procedures, and performing data operations against them in excel. It also allows you to import mysql data to excel, create new mysql tables from selected excel data, add excel data to existing mysql tables, and edit mysql table data directly from excel.
download and install mysql for excel
To install the mysql for excel plugin, you must be logged in to your workstation as an administrator.
the mysql installer for excel will check your system to make sure it meets the following requirements; the installer will notify you if further action is needed before starting the installation:
- .net framework 4.0 (full profile or client)
- excel 2007 or later
- visual studio 2010 tools for office runtime (this is required to run office tools created with visual studio; the mysql installer for excel can install it for you. office developer tools for visual studio does not replace this requirement).
- an available mysql server connection.
To get the installer, download the standalone msi file.
to run the installer:
- On your workstation, open the folder that contains the installation file (mysql-for-excel-1.3.6.msi), then right-click the file and select install.
- if you see a security warning asking if you want to run this file, click run.
- when the mysql setup wizard for excel 1.3.6 starts, click Click Next.
- To accept the default destination folder, click Next. alternatively, to select a custom location, click change, browse to the desired folder (or create a new one), click the desired folder, click ok, and then click next.
- when prompted, click install to begin the installation.
- if you see a security warning asking if you want the program to install the software on your computer, click yes.
- If your system prompts you to log in as an administrator, enter the username and password of a local administrator account to continue.
- When the installation is complete, click finish to continue. exit the setup wizard.
To access the mysql for excel plugin, start microsoft excel, and then in the data tab (on the right), click mysql for excel.
connect to your mysql database
to configure mysql for excel to connect to your mysql database on the rdc:
- in excel, on the data tab, click mysql for excel to start the plugin.
- in the “mysql for excel” pane (near the bottom), click click on new connection.
- on the “mysql instance connection” screen:
- for “connection name”, enter a name for the connection (for example, rdc-mysql).
- for “connection method”, make sure standard (tcp/ip) is selected.
- for “hostname”, enter the hostname of the rdc server: sasrdsmp01.uits.iu.edu
- for “port”, enter the tcp/ip port number : 3006
- for “username” and “password”, enter the credentials of a mysql account that has permissions to access your database.
- optionally, for “schema default”, enter a schema name.
- To confirm the connection, click test connection. if the connection is valid, click accept.
once your connection is set up in the mysql for excel plugin, you can return to it later; just open excel, go to the data tab, click on mysql to excel and then double click on your connection name.
For help using mysql for excel, see the mysql for excel guide.
If you need help connecting to your mysql database on the rdc, please email the rdc admin team.
for information on rdc database accounts, see the databases section on research database complex (rdc) at indiana university.