chromecast lets you take videos, music, and pictures from your phone and project them onto your TV. All you have to do is connect your chromecast to your TV, start watching a video on your smartphone or tablet, and hit the “cast” button to project it on your TV. Unlike other streaming devices, you won’t have to download and set up a bunch of new apps on your TV to get access to streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, Spotify, Google Play Music, and more. Here’s how to set up your Chromecast, whether you’re using an iPhone or Android device.
what is chromecast?
chromecast is a streaming media player from google that allows you to cast content from your smartphone, tablet, or computer to your television. With a feature called “screencasting,” you can “cast” videos, photos, or music with the touch of a button.
For example, if you’re watching a YouTube video on your phone, you can tap the Cast button to start watching the video on your TV screen. then you can use your phone as a remote control to rewind, pause or volume up. and you can still use your phone to search the internet or play games while you’re screencasting.
With chromecast, you can enlarge your photos, view websites like facebook in high resolution, or even make a powerpoint presentation from your phone.
how to configure chromecast
Before you start setting up your chromecast, you’ll need to make sure you have a compatible phone or tablet, a TV with an hdmi port, and a reliable Wi-Fi connection.
chromecast works with most mobile devices that come with android 5.0 or higher and ios 11.0 and higher. You can also use your chromecast with a computer or laptop, but you can’t set it up this way anymore. therefore, you will need your phone or tablet for this setup process. once you meet all these requirements, you can follow these steps below.
- Plug your Chromecast into your TV’s HDMI port and into a power supply. First, plug the USB cable into your Chromecast, and then plug your Chromecast into an HDMI port on your TV. If there is a number next to the HDMI port, write it down (you will need this information in the next step). Next, connect the other end of the USB cable to a wall outlet.
- Turn on your TV and press the input or source button on your remote until you see the Chromecast welcome screen. You will know you’re on the right channel when you see the “Set me up” prompt on your TV screen.
- Download and install Google Home app. If you’re using an Android device, you can find the app in the Google Play Store, or in the Apple App Store if you’re using an iPhone or an iPad.
- Open the Google Home App and follow the on-screen instructions. First, tap Get Started. Then, sign in to a Google account or create one if you don’t have one already. You will also be asked to allow Google Home to access your location.
- Then tap Get Started. If you don’t see this, you can also tap the icon of a person in the bottom-right corner of your screen. Then tap Set up device.
- Tap New devices, and then Create another home. You will be asked to pick a nickname and/or address. The nickname will help you identify your TV when you start casting. You can leave the address blank. Then wait for the app to discover your device.
- Then tap Next when your Chromecast is discovered. If you have multiple devices, choose the one you want to set up and tap Next. In case your device didn’t show up, tap Don’t see your device.
- If you see a code on your TV, click Yes. A four-digit code should pop up on your phone and TV screen.
- Choose a name for your Chromecast device, and then tap Continue. You will be given a list of rooms where your device is located. This will help you identify your device later. You can also make a custom room by tapping Add custom room, typing in the name, and tapping Next.
- Connect Chromecast to your WiFi. Make sure you connect your phone or tablet to the same WiFi network as your Chromecast. Once your streaming device is connected to your WiFi, you can start screencasting or go through a short tutorial.
Now that you’ve set up your chromecast, you can start making screencasts. Here’s how to use your Chromecast with an Android phone or iOS device.
how to use chromecast
With Chromecast, you can cast movies, TV shows, photos, or websites from your phone or tablet to your TV screen. all you need to do is tap the cast button from a chromecast-enabled app on your mobile device or computer, and the content will appear on the big screen.
If you use an iphone with your chromecast, you can only cast chromecast compatible apps. Fortunately, most popular apps and streaming services like YouTube and Netflix are Chromecast-enabled. this means they come with a built-in cast button.
how to chromecast from an iphone or ios device
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast.
- Tap a Chromecast-enabled app. make sure the app is up to date. you can verify this in the apple app store.
- tap the button to cast. The submit button looks like a small TV screen with a Wi-Fi signal. depending on the app you choose, you’ll find the cast button in the top right or left corner of the screen once you open the app.
- choose the device you’re casting to, then tap to transmit. if you have more than one chromecast device, you will see a list of options. once you’re connected, you’ll notice the cast button change color, signifying you’re done! now you can start streaming and streaming videos. to stop streaming, just tap the stream button again and disconnect.
how to chromecast from an android device
If you use an android device, you can not only cast chromecast compatible apps, but also cast your android device’s full screen to your TV directly from the google home app. Please note that this feature does not work with iOS or Windows devices.
Below are the steps on how to cast your entire android screen to your TV.
- open the google home app.
- tap the account tab.
- scroll down and tap mirror device.
- tap cast screen/audio. to use this feature properly, you need to enable “microphone” permission in services from the google play app.
- Finally, choose your chromecast device. Done! now you can start mirroring your screen on your TV. to stop, just tap disconnect.
if you want to stream directly from an app on your android, follow these simple steps below.
- Make sure your android device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your chromecast.
- Tap a chromecast-enabled app. make sure the app is up to date. you can check this in the google play store.
- tap cast.
- choose the device to cast to, then tap cast. Now you’re done!
If you’re having issues with your chromecast, be sure to check out our article on how to factory reset your chromecast here.
hellotech editors choose the products and services we write about. when you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.