Chromebooks are most useful when they are connected to the internet. It is very easy to connect a Chromebook to a WiFi internet connection. Most Chromebooks do not include an Ethernet LAN port. To connect to an Ethernet connection, you will need to use a Chromebook Compatible USB Ethernet Dongle. It is very easy to use a Chromebook ethernet adapted to connect to a wired network.
connect a chromebook to wifi
Most chromebook users will connect to the internet via wi-fi. Fortunately, in chromeos it is very easy to connect to multiple wifi networks to ensure that a chromebook user always has an internet connection. Chromebooks can connect to any network with the following settings: open networks that do not require a password; secure networks using wep, wpa-psk, wpa-enterprise, or wpa2-enterprise settings; Standards: 802.11 a/b/g/n and 802.11ac for AC-equipped Chromebooks
There are two places you can make changes to the wireless settings on a chromebook. the most convenient route is through the status area in the lower right corner of your chromebook shelf. this is where most of your chromebook wifi settings will be located.
your chromebook can connect to any network with the following settings:
- open networks that do not require a password
- secure networks that use wep, dynamic wep, wpa-psk, wpa-enterprise, or wpa2-enterprise settings. we recommend wpa2, as is. more secure than wep or wpa.
- standards: 802.11 a/b/g/n and 802.11ac for ac-equipped chromebooks
- at the top right of the chromebook desktop, click the network button and then select the enable wi-fi option.
- the wi-fi button will replace the network button.
- right-click the wi-fi button.
- a list of available wireless networks will appear. there should be a list of available wi-fi networks. select the network you want to connect to. Your device automatically connects to the wireless network without entering the network password.
- The join wi-fi window will appear.
If you’re using your Chromebook at a workplace that uses a proxy server, you may need to configure your proxy settings before you can establish an internet connection.
let the chromebook keep trying to connect to ulsecure and it will eventually assume the credentials and settings are correct. sometimes it will connect immediately, and more often it will connect in 10-20 minutes, so keep trying.
the “trick” seems to be to prevent the chromebook from connecting to other networks and eventually it will connect. it may take several iterations (for many minutes) but it will connect.
how to connect a chromebook to a restricted network
Some administrators restrict network access to prevent outsiders from viewing private information on the network. you may need to provide your mac address to your administrator to use the network. to find your mac address:
1. turn on your chromebook.
2. click the status area, where your account picture appears.
3. click the section that says connected to and the name of your network.
4. At the top of the box that appears, choose your network.
5. in the window that opens, the mac address is the hardware address.
how to connect a chromebook to a wpa2 business network
1. click the status area, where your account picture appears.
2. click settings.
3. under “internet connection”, click add connection > add wifi > advanced.
4. enter your network credentials. in the “server ca certificate” field, choose default if your server certificate is already installed on your chromebook. (you can verify this by going to chrome://settings/certificates in your browser, then clicking on authorities). If the server certificate is not installed, your administrator may ask you to install the server certificate. if you are connecting to an eap-tls network, you may need to install the user certificate.
5. click connect.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection is used to connect your Chromebook to a private network, for example at your workplace or school. for detailed information on setting up a vpn connection, including steps to install certificates (if needed). learn more about using a vpn with a chromebook.