Several users have contacted us with questions after being unable to use the camera with omegle. In most cases, the problem is reported to be accompanied by the following error message: “camera error: the requested device was not found.” most affected users report that the camera used to work fine on omegle and still works for other apps that use it (including skype, messenger, etc). The issue does not appear to be specific to a particular version of windows, as it is reported to occur on windows 7, windows 8.1, and windows 10.
What is causing the camera issue with Omegle?
We investigated this particular issue by looking at various user reports and repair strategies that are commonly used to fix or work around this particular issue. Based on our investigations, there are several potential culprits that could end up triggering this particular issue:
If you are currently looking to resolve the same issue and have been unsuccessful, this article will provide several troubleshooting steps. Below are a couple of methods that other users in a similar situation have successfully used to resolve omegle camera issues. At least one user has confirmed that all of the potential fixes below are effective.
For best results, we recommend that you follow the methods in the order they are presented, as the guides below are sorted by efficiency and severity. one of the fixes should end up solving the problem regardless of the culprit that ends up causing it.
method 1: close other programs that are using the camera
It is also possible that the camera is not working on omegle because another app is currently using it. Whenever this happens, the browser you are using will not be able to get permission to use the camera for omegle because another app is already using it. Several affected users reported that the issue was resolved after closing another program that was using the webcam functionality. this is typically reported to be effective with integrated webcams.
some of the most common culprits reported in this particular case are skype, messenger (uwp version), google hangouts, whatsapp web and viber.
If you can’t figure out which app is using the camera, it’s a good idea to disable permissions for all of them (just to confirm one of them is the culprit).
Here’s a quick guide on how to disable app permissions for the camera:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Then, type ” ms-settings:privacy-webcam” and press Enter to open up the Camera tab of the Settings app.
- Once you get to the Camera tab, scroll down to the Choose which apps can access your camera tab. When you get there, set each toggle to off until no UWP (Universal Windows Platform) application is permitted to access your Camera.
- Once every camera permission has been disabled, open the Omegle web app again and see if the issue has been resolved. Note: In the event that the issue is no longer occurring while all apps are not permitted to use the application, systematic re-enable each one until you figure out the application responsible.
After closing the application that was using the webcam, try using the camera with omegle and see if the problem is now resolved.
If this solution does not apply to your current situation or did not resolve the “camera error: The requested device was not found”, skip to the next method below.
method 2: update the browser to the latest version
omegle underwent some changes that affected its functionality with certain browsers until they caught up with the new technology by releasing updates. With that in mind, it’s quite possible that you’re running into this particular issue because you’re using an outdated browser that isn’t equipped to support omegle yet.
The good news is that all popular browsers are now adapted to support omegle and the way it uses the webcam. Several affected users have reported that they managed to resolve the issue after upgrading to the latest browser version.
Note: If you encounter this issue on Windows Edge or Internet Explorer, you do not need to follow the instructions below as these two browsers will update automatically during Windows Update.
below, you will find three separate guides to update 3 of the most popular browsers (chrome, firefox, opera) to the latest version. follow the guide that applies to your situation.
update chrome to the latest version
- Open Chrome and click the action button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Then, from the newly appeared menu, go to Help > About Google Chrome.
- Inside the next screen, wait until the scan is complete, then click on Update Google Chrome if a new version is discovered.
- Once the update is installed, restart your browser and see if Omegle is functioning normally.
update firefox to the latest version
- Open Firefox and click on the action button in the top-right corner. Next, click on Help and select About Firefox from the newly appeared side menu.
- Inside the About Mozilla Firefox window, click on Restart to update Firefox. Then, wait for the process to complete. If you’re prompted by the UAC (User Account Control) prompt, click on Yes to grant admin privileges.
- Once your browser restarts, visit Omegle and see if the issue has been resolved.
update opera to the latest version
- Click on the Opera icon in the top-left corner of the screen. Then, click on the Update & Recovery tab.
- Wait until Opera scans for a new version. If a new build is found, the download will automatically begin. Wait until the process is finished.
- Once the update is downloaded, click on Update now and wait until the process is complete.
- Once the update is installed, your computer will restart and the new version will be installed. Once your browser is updated, open Omegle and see if the issue has been resolved.
If the issue is still not resolved and you still cannot use your webcam with omegle, continue to the next method below.
method 3: clear your browser’s cookies
It’s also possible that the reason you can no longer use your computer’s camera on omegle is that a corrupt cookie is blocking the feature. other affected users reported that the issue was resolved after clearing their browser cookies.
The step of clearing cookies will be different from one browser to another, but there is a utility capable of removing cookies instantly, regardless of the browser you are using.
Note: If you don’t want to install a third-party utility, you can always manually delete cookies from your browser settings. but the steps to do so are specific to each browser.
here is a quick guide on how to install & using ccleaner to remove browser cookies and solve omegle camera issue:
- Visit this link (here) and install the free version of Ccleaner from a download link.
- Once the installation executable is installed, double-click on it and follow the on-screen prompts to install the software on your system.
- When the installation is complete, open Ccleaner. Then, from the main interface, click on Custom clean from the vertical menu on the left.
- Next, check the Applications tab and uncheck everything aside from the items related to your browser. For example, in our case, the browser that we encounter the issue on is Opera.
- Once the setup is complete, clear the cookies by clicking on Run Cleaner.
- At the next prompt, click Continue to start the cleanup process.
- Once the process is complete, close Ccleaner, open the browser that was causing the issues with Omegle and see if the issue is now resolved.
If the same problem occurs with the camera (“camera error: the requested device was not found”), go to the next method below.
method 4: use a different browser (chrome only)
If you are using chrome, this particular issue can also occur due to a change in google policy. Some time ago, the tech giant decided to ban flash plugins from accessing certain features implemented in the browser: the webcam and microphone are among the most important.
Several affected users reported that they managed to resolve the issue by switching to another browser. internet explorer and firefox are two alternatives that are often recommended by users who have migrated to another browser.