We all know that multiple monitors can greatly improve our productivity and provide a great experience, especially when using a laptop. but how to connect external monitors to a laptop? you have come to the right place. This article presents an easy and clear guide to connecting two external monitors to your laptop.
- things to check before you start
- how to set up to connect two monitors
- tip extra: what if you can’t see connected monitors?
things to check before starting
Generally speaking, most windows laptops now support dual monitors, at least. but you need to make sure your laptop is capable of adding two external monitors. and that depends on your windows operating system, the capability of your graphics cards and drivers.
Reading: How connect two monitors to laptop
windows xp/7/8/10 supports multiple monitors, so you only need to check your laptop’s graphics card and ports.
1. check the graphics card
First of all, you may need to make sure your graphics card supports multiple monitors. Normally, each graphics card provides at least two outputs, but you’ll need to check the properties of your graphics card on the manufacturer’s website, find your graphics card and check the specifications to see if it supports adding two external monitors .
For example, if you are using nvidia geforce graphics card, you can check it on the official website, click your graphics card and check the specifications, then you will see if it supports multiple monitors.
If it does not support adding multiple monitors, you may need to buy and install a correct graphics card (e.g GeForce RTX 30 Series) before you keep processing.
2. check available ports on your laptop
then you may need to check the ports on your laptop. Typically, a computer or laptop should include any one of these four ports:
display port can provide an interface with optional high definition audio content protection. Digital Video Interface (DVI) is typically color-coded with labels and white plastic.Video Graphics Matrix (VGA) is typically color-coded with blue plastic and labels. The high-definition multimedia interface (hdmi) can connect all kinds of video devices and provide sound through the cables.
You can check the ports on the back or on the sides of your laptop. In addition to the ports on your laptop, the monitors should have the corresponding ports as well. That will save your time and money to connect them. Otherwise, you will need to buy an extra adapter, such as a DVI to HDMI adapter to have them match.
if you don’t have the corresponding ports or if there aren’t enough ports on the laptops
If your laptop’s ports aren’t the same as your monitor’s cable connectors, or if there aren’t enough ports, don’t give up. There is a solution! you can try one of the following methods to continue:
- use a 4k displayport pluggable and hdmi dual monitor adapter to connect monitors and your laptop. Easily accommodates USB 3.0 systems and is equipped with dual Display Ports and HDMI ports for easy connection to two 4K monitors. Plug in this adapter and you can easily connect two monitors to your laptop.
- Use a splitter switch, such as a display splitter to have two hdmi ports. this works if you only have one hdmi port on your laptop but need two hdmi ports.
- use a docking station, and it works in many circumstances.
how to configure to connect two monitors
Now that everything is ready, you can start connecting the two monitors to your laptop.
Note: Plug in your monitors while your laptop is on. In most cases, windows will detect when a new monitor is connected.
for example, I have vga and hdmi ports on my laptop, and my external monitors also have cables for vga and hdmi ports:
- Plug the cable of the first external monitor to the correct video port on your laptop. So I plug the VGA cable of the first external monitor into the VGA port on my laptop.
- Plug the cable of the second external monitor to the other correct port on your laptop. So I plug the HDMI cable of the second external monitor into the HDMI port on my laptop.
- On your laptop, right-click an empty area of your desktop😕 If you are using Windows 10, click Display settings. ? If you are using Windows 8/7, click Screen resolution.
- You will see three displays labeled with 1, 2 and 3 in display mode. Generally speaking, the display 1 is the monitor of your laptop, and the display 2 and 3 are the external monitors. (What if you can’t see the plugged-in monitors?)
- Click the display 2, and select Extend desktop to this display in Multiple displays, and click Apply.
- Click the display 3, and select Extend desktop to this display in Multiple displays, and click Apply.
- Click OK to finish the settings, and you can now use the three monitors on your laptop.Tips: You can click and drag each display (1, 2 or 3) to rearrange the display. You can also change the size of items, display resolution, and orientation according to your preferences.
Extra tip: what if you can’t see connected monitors?
Sometimes your laptop cannot detect external monitors correctly. this may be due to an incorrect connection, defective monitor or cables. make sure all cables are connected properly and do some testing with an alternative monitor and another cable.
If it still doesn’t work, it looks like your graphics card driver doesn’t support multi-monitor display correctly. a driver update is required.
There are two ways to update drivers: manually and automatically.
manually: You can manually update the printer driver by searching for the correct driver that matches your windows os > on the manufacturer’s website and install it on your computer. this requires time and computer skills.
automatically: If you don’t have the time or patience to update drivers manually, you can do it automatically with driver easy. Its free version can detect and download the outdated drivers on your windows with just a few clicks.
You can update your drivers automatically with the free or pro version of driver easy. but with the pro version it only takes 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30 day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to a flagged device to automatically download the correct drivers (you can do this with the FREE version), and install it on your computer.Or click Update All to automatically download all the correct drivers that are missing or out of date on your Windows (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
These are the simple instructions to connect two external monitors to your laptop. Comment below if you have any questions, and we’ll see what else we can do to help further.
featured image from pixabay free-photos